Sunday, September 5, 2010

NOT riding - just recouperating and reflecting

I awoke this morning to a sore, aching body, but man, did I sleep well! We had a scrumptuous breakfast down in the Stillwaters buffet for a total of at least 20,000 calories between that and last night's feast. It was a beautiful drive back home on this crisp, fall like day. 

We even saw the famous mountain goat that lives on the rocks above the interstate near Flatwoods. I don't think he's really a mountain goat, but he thinks he is. The story goes that he was once owned by a local farmer, but was too mean to tame and kept getting out.  He finally got fed up with the ornery thing and let it go.  It just stays up there on those rocks around the area feeding all the time.  Jim and I have both seen it several times while passing through. He's pretty fat, so I guess he's doing ok.  I mentioned as much to Jim.  "Well, goats eat everything - weeds, briars, grass, they're not picky."  He replied.  "What do they drink?"  I brainlessly asked.  What a stupid question. "What do they drink?!?" Jim was incredulous, and I knew it was coming.  "Well, every once in a while some of them go down to the local GoMart for a cherry 7-up."  That's why I married him - he's quick on the draw, and funny as all get-out.

When we got home and unloaded, I noticed the giant box of granola bars we bought at Sam's in anticipation of our great riding adventures.  We ate one the whole time.  Not even we.  Just "he". 

I forgot my beloved pillow back at the resort.  I'll be in mourning for nights.... 

You need to know that I'm very much a girly-girl.  People who know me are probably stunned that I've taken up this biking hobby.  I like my nails done.  I like a little makeup, usually don't go anywhere without my hair fixed and never was a tomboy.  Yesterday on my first spill, I almost ripped my fake nail off.  I had accidentally thrown my contacts in the trash as soon as we got there, so I had to wear my ritzy J-Lo glasses the whole time.  They have little fake diamonds on the sides.  I was almost as scared I would break them during one of my falls as I was scared of encountering a rattlesnake.

Yes, I said I threw away my contacts.  This is nothing new for me.  I'm always accidentally throwing away valuable stuff.  Once, I threw away 150 bucks during my son's birthday party.  Just cleaning up paper dishes and trash, it went in the compactor and I never knew it. We finally figured it out a week later.  The day we got my road bike I came home and threw away my cell phone. I was throwing away  the tags I'd just taken off my bike, my cell was in the same hand.  Later I had to dial it twice to figure out where that remote ringing sound was coming from - none other than the garbage compactor.  I did not tell Jim this right away.  He's well aware of my track record.

Jim and I are working on this bike hobby because one day we realized the kids were growing up.  It's like we woke up and they were all teens and young adults!  We decided we better start doing something together or we'd just end up staring at one another after they were gone.  I'm a die hard gym rat.  He hates working out but loves to hunt and be outside.  We made a compromise, and I'm SO glad we did!  It has really brought us together - finally, we share something that gets us physically fit, yet we both enjoy it.

I'm so glad we decided on biking, even though Jim has had his share of scares with me.  It has truly brought us closer.  We're working on our health so we can hopefully have many more happy years together!

1 comment:

haylien said...

mama you is the best. i hope i get to go on my first bike trail with you today lol yay:)